Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving planning

This is the first Thanksgiving that I will be cooking for my husband's family.  (By family I mean his mother) We'll be driving up to Tulsa, OK from Houston to visit his mom and I am in charge of the cooking.  I don't really mind it, actually I'm relishing the planning and showing off my cooking.  Everything is planned, I just need to figure out the timing issue to make sure everything is nice and hot and nothing is over/under cooked.  My husband made only two requests: 1) have ham at the table and 2) have twice baked potato at the table.  Everything else is up to me. Here is what I have planned:

1) Ham, the fully cooked kind that comes with a glaze
2) Chicken, brined and roasted (I know it's a bit excessive to have two proteins but it just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving unless there is a bird involved) and brown gravy from the drippings
3) Stuffing, the kind from a box, but with lots of additions
4) Green bean casserole, recipe from Pioneer Woman, slightly tweaked to my liking (I would love to put some mushrooms in there, but alas, the husband has a strong dislike for mushrooms)
5) Twice baked potatoes, my own recipe (will post later with pictures :))
6) Corn tomato salad, I needed something that doesn't require cooking since the burners and the oven will be occupied
7) Yeast rolls, store bought, just need to pop them in the oven before serving

So it looks like a lot of work, but I think I can do it.  It's a good thing that the husband's mom likes leftovers because I will be cooking enough food to feed an army!  I shall hand the camera over to the husband during the cooking and hopefully end up with some pics I can share about the process... Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment