Wednesday, September 15, 2010

and the back is done too!!!!

When I started this project, I intended the back of the quilt to be a solid color.  However, after making the quilt top, I ended up with a pile of scraps that were too big to toss, but too small to be used in anything else.  Then I came across this post by Elizabeth of Oh Fransson! on Sew Mama Sew about how to piece together small squares.  I think that I may be too lazy to become a truly good crafter, thus this post spoke to me.  So I modified this slightly to create the backing to the quilt. In the tut, she used interfacing to arrange and secure all the small pieces and then sewed a 1/4 in seam and pressed it open. It's pretty simple and *very* convenient way to arrange pieces that are about 1 1/2 to 2 in wide fabric. So I followed the directions and came up with this.

I had the full intention of scrap piece stretching the width of the backing, but I made a calculation mistake. I forgot to take the seams into consideration, and ended up with a piece that falls way short of the width.  instead of correcting it with another piece of the same thing, I decided to go with a lazy way out. I just attached more of the backing material to the sides to make it the right width.  So now I'm making the quilt sandwich and should complete the darn thing soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment